top of page

Found an injured or orphaned wild animal?

Our Hotline number: 319.277.6511

Found an animal?: News

If you found an adult wild animal you think may be injured or sick:

​Most animals have family nearby, asses the situation. Do not interact with wildlife unless you are sure the animal is orphaned or injured. 

Look at the species of the animal, the age, the problem. (Sometimes taking a picture will help.) If parents are near or it fell from a nest, put it back into the nest or leave it alone, volunteers can help you decide. If truly orphaned or injured, put it into a quiet, safe, warm place. Do not feed or handle.

  • Call BHWRP at 319.277.6511. A trained staff member will help you determine if the animal needs help and guide you through what to do next.

  • If you reside outside of Iowa State, contact a licensed rehabilitator in your state (see below).

  • If you must move the animal: Find a suitable container (cardboard box, pet carrier). Line it with a towel or cloth. For potentially difficult or hard to handle wildlife, we reccomend using a humane trap. Please be gentle.

  • Otherwise, throw a towel or a sheet over the animal so the he can’t see you, gently pick up the animal (wear gloves), and place in the container. You don’t need to remove the towel, but loosen it. Secure the container to make sure the animal cannot escape.

  • Keep the animal in a warm, dark, quiet place. Do not give him food or water. Leave him alone. Take the animal to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible by calling our hotline.

To find a licensed rehabilitator outside of Iowa:


“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see”

Mark Twain

Found an animal?: Quote
bottom of page